JASPER COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — Jasper County Sheriff deputies and Indiana State Police investigators have located what they believe is the trailer involved in a fatal hit-and-run from last week. Sheriff Terry Risner said investigators found the white trailer in the southwestern Illinois town of East St. Louis, Friday.
Sheriff Risner said they were able to track down the trailer based off of the semi's timeline. As we reported, a business near the intersection of U.S. 231 and State Road 16 captured a picture from its surveillance camera. Police are now working to find the cab and the driver involved. Risner said the company that owns the trailer is working with investigators.
Forty-year-old Melissa Deno of Rensselaer died in the crash. According to the Jasper County Sheriff's Office, around 1 p.m. on Wednesday, police received a report of a crash between a car and a semi at the intersection of U.S. 231 and State Road 16. Deputies said the vehicle had gone under the semi, shearing off the roof of Deno's vehicle. Within minutes, a second call was received that the semi drove away westbound on State Road 16. Deno was pronounced dead at the scene.
Investigators are still searching for the white day cab. Risner said now that it involves an out-of-state investigation, the investigation may take longer. If you have any information, contact Detective Buschman at the Jasper County Sheriff's Office at 219-866-7344 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Trailer located in Jasper County fatal hit and run, still looking for driver
- Statewide search underway for semi involved in Jasper Co. fatal hit-and-run
- Suspected driver in fatal hit-and-run charged
- Officials release names and details from fatal hit-and-run
- Fatal hit-and-run suspect released from jail
- Suspect and vehicle involved in fatal hit-and-run found
- Fatal hit-and-run suspect bonds out of jail again
- Remembering victims of a fatal hit-and-run crash
- Deputies break up underage drinking party in Jasper County
- ISP: Three people airlifted after crash in Jasper County