WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Many know Sana Booker as a West Lafayette City Clerk but her service in the community goes beyond her job title.
She's being recognized at The YWCA’s 45th annual Salute to Women celebration.
“It's very humbling to think that someone would think of you and decide that you're worthy of this kind of recognition,” said Booker.
Booker has been a West Lafayette City Clerk since 2015. Her presence in Greater Lafayette became known 20 years ago when she became the first female Assistant Manager of Purdue University's Wiley Hall.
Booker said serving and leading is in her blood.
“I watched my auntie and I watched my mother and I watched very strong women who worked and gave tirelessly of their time and their efforts,” said Booker.
Booker is currently an active member of Area IV, Leadership Lafayette, Tippecanoe Adult Guardianship Services, NAACP, League of Women Voters, Moms Demand Action and Caregiver Companion to name a few.
“To me, it is a waste of your time to not use it and to not share,” said Booker. “As a woman of a certain season in my life, it is time for me to also be something that younger woman can look at and talk to.”
She hopes her actions have a lasting impact.
“I think it's important that I be more than just someone walking on this earth that I have a role and purpose and it will help others,” said Booker.
Booker isn't alone. She said support from friends and family is what keeps her going.
“I have wonderful sons and a husband of almost 40 years,” said Booker. “I just had people and I have people in my life that believe in me and it makes each day easier.”
Booker plans to continue making positive strides in the community.
- YWCA's Salute to Women Celebration to honor West Lafayette City Clerk Sana Booker
- YWCA of Greater Lafayette honoring West Lafayette native during 2019 Salute to Women
- YWCA's 45th salute to women honored 7 women
- YWCA recognizes Cathy Benner in 45th Salute to Women Celebration
- YWCA honors Tamara House in salute to women
- YWCA honors Vanessa Pacheco in Salute To Women
- YWCA honors Sarah Johnson
- YWCA announces women of distinction
- YWCA of Greater Lafayette celebrating 90 years of service
- West Lafayette celebrates class of 2018