LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - Moving to America from another country is a daunting process.
"It's something that is relatively complex and not a lot of people understand," said Rev. Susan Brouillette. However, she is ready to help as Lafayette Urban Ministry's Immigration Clinic Director.
Brouillette is one of 12 local female leaders being honored in the YWCA Salute to Women class of 2020.
"We help people with their applications for permanent residence, naturalization, we do other types of humanitarian applications and we walk them through the whole process," she said.
The Benton County native learned how to do all this under a notable U.S. Senator
"I worked for Senator Lugar and I was his immigration specialist for about 15 years," she said.
And she brought her skills back here to Lafayette, helping immigrants from Tippecanoe and surrounding counties with affordable services.
"It's my estimate that (Greater Lafayette) is the fourth or fifth largest area for immigrants in the state," she said.
She said they are drawn here because of job opportunities and quality of life for their families.
"We always think about what our past was in terms of people who settle the united states and I think they represent them," she said.
She said being honored by the YWCA highlights a strong community partnership that is raising Greater Lafayette up.
"We have a great relationship with the Y already, especially through the domestic violence program and so that makes it a special honor for me," she said.
Click here to learn more about the LUM Immigration Clinic and how they can help you.
Haga clic aquí para obtener más información sobre la Clínica de Inmigración LUM y cómo pueden ayudarlo.
- YWCA Salute to Women honoree advocates for immigrants
- Carol Price; a YWCA Salute to Women honoree
- Salute To Women honoree Dr. Deanna McMillan
- YWCA's Salute to Women honors Christa Coffey
- YWCA's 45th salute to women honored 7 women
- YWCA recognizes Cathy Benner in 45th Salute to Women Celebration
- YWCA honors Tamara House in salute to women
- YWCA honors Vanessa Pacheco in Salute To Women
- YWCA announces women of distinction
- YWCA of Greater Lafayette honoring West Lafayette native during 2019 Salute to Women