TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — In less than two weeks the Wreaths Across America organization will need help from the community.
The group is honoring fallen heroes by placing more than 2,800 wreaths on grave sites at the Indiana Veterans Home.
The Greater Lafayette community is invited to come out on Dec. 16.
That Saturday is National Wreaths Across America Day and the event kicks off at noon here in MacArthur Hall.
No one will be forgotten this year at the Indiana Veterans Home Cemetery.
There is a wreath for each gravesite thanks to hundreds of donations.
There will be a ceremony in the hall followed by volunteers going out to lay the wreaths.
Organization Ambassador Dana Vann says the number of people who help out each year varies.
One year around 100 people volunteered, but if the weather is nice, it can be closer to 500 people.
"When the people come out we ask that they just don't place the wreath, but say the name and remember the person who's buried there so that it's more of a remembrance ceremony than just going out and decorating the graves," said Vann.
More than 250 people and organizations helped sponsor a wreath this year.
Wabash National Corporation contributed $20,000.
"It's what put us over the edge and I have to say that any that are more than we need this year will be carried over to next year. So we've actually got a little jump start on next year too," said Vann.
Vann says there's no need to sign up for the event in advance.
Everyone is asked to just show up the day of.
- Wreaths Across America calls on community for help
- Wreaths Across America in West Lafayette
- Donations being collected to honor veterans for Wreaths Across America
- Wreaths Across America event held at the Indiana Veterans Home
- Community remembers fallen soldiers and vets at "Wreaths Across America" ceremony
- Getting ready for seventh annual Wreaths Across America event at IVH
- Donations needed for the 6th annual Wreaths Across American
- Logansport fire department taking more calls from the community
- Police: Advance America Cash Advance robbed
- Employee killed after fall at Nanshan America