UPDATE: Police say they're waiting on lab results to make an arrest for the shooting of a woman in West Lafayette three weeks ago.
They say they don't know how much longer lab results will take but hope to have answers by the first of the year.
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Police are looking for a shooter after a woman was shot at an apartment complex near Purdue's campus Tuesday night.
West Lafayette police say the shooting victim, Weijing Li, is stable and recovering at a Lafayette hospital.
Officers were called to the Waterfront Apartments on the 300 block of Brown Street at around 10 p.m.
News 18 talked to an officer Wednesday morning right after he left the hospital where Li is being treated.
She told the officer the man tried to take money from her.
When she turned away to get in her apartment, he shot her in the back.
The woman says the man took off running toward Wiggins Street.
Purdue student Katie Reichart says she hopes her friends and other students take this incident seriously.
"It's just a concern that you have to be watching out for your safety at all times, I mean that's something that we've always been concerned about being on campus but it happening so close to home makes it a lot more real," said Reichart.
So far, no witnesses have come forward.
Investigators at the scene told News 18 they were collecting a piece of evidence but didn't say what that was.
Coming up on News 18 at Five and Six, hear from the officer who talked to the victim.
Anyone with information is asked to call the WeTip hotline at 1-800-78-CRIME or 911.
- Woman shot near Purdue campus; police searching for shooting suspect
- Seven people shot near Ball State campus
- Purdue prepares for additional campus housing
- Campus wide power outage reported at Purdue
- Purdue receives Tree Campus USA Award
- National Law Enforcement Conference on Purdue's campus
- Jelly scooters arriving on Purdue's campus
- Purdue eliminates plastic straws on campus
- Kokomo police searching for rape suspect
- Data confirms students still want to live near Purdue's campus