FRANKFORT, Ind. (WLFI) — Vanessa Trail said the past few days feel like a bad dream. That was until Wednesday, when she made her husband, Jason Trail's funeral arrangements, she knew this was all very real.
After going through the tragedy, she wants other families to be prepared. She said families need to have an emergency plan that includes escape routes.
Children should have relative's phone numbers memorized and parents should check often, to make sure smoke detectors work properly.
The home she lived in with her husband was their dream.
"You know Jason and I wanted country life that's what we loved to do," said Trail.
But when she thinks of her home now, one memory haunts her.
"All I remembered is waking up to my daughter screaming there's smoke, and it just happened that fast," Trail remembers.
It only took a couple minutes for flames to consume their home, Trail and her husband worked to get all of their children out.
Frankfort Fire Chief John Kirby said they had to pull Jason and the family's five year old son out of the house.
The son made it, Jason sadly died the next day.
Many heroes stepped in that night, including a passerby who rushed Trail's son to the hospital.
"I still don't even know who she is but what she did saved my son's life," said Trail.
Trail said she will probably never understand why this happened, but there is one thing she knows for certain.
"I really feel Jason fulfilled his final duty to our family and that was making sure we all got out," said Trail.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation. Chief Kirby said it doesn't appear to be suspicious, and they expect to have it finalized in the next few days.
- Woman shares final memories after losing husband in fire
- S.C. woman accused of killing husband with eye drops
- Police: Woman kills husband and leaves body for three days
- LPD: Woman arrested after stabbing ex-husband with steak knife
- Woman shares concerns about Carroll County Jail
- Final phase approved for Columbian Park's Memorial Island project
- Wabash Township Fire Department loses chief
- Second husband sentenced in child porn bust
- Woman awaiting kidney transplant shares importance of organ donation
- Cubs lose 2-1 to Cards as NL Central race goes to final day