LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — The woman charged with abandoning an adopted child in Lafayette is asking a judge to allow her to leave the state.
Kristine and Michael Barnett are accused of leaving their adopted daughter at an apartment on North 11th Street before they moved to Canada. They're both charged with two counts of neglect of a dependent.
The home on N. 11th Street in Lafayette where court documents say the Barnett girl lived. The home is divided into several apartments. Photo: Trevor Peters
Kristine Barnett is now asking a judge to allow her to move to her permanent residence in Bradenton, Florida, to continue working. She currently is required to stay in Indiana. Barnett said she's currently living with her mother in New Palestine, Indiana.
In a court filing, Kristine Barnett said she will return for all scheduled court hearings.
The case has gained worldwide attention. Prosecutors said the parents adopted the Ukranian girl, who has a form of dwarfism, in 2010. A friend of Kristine Barnett told News 18 they believed they were "scammed," and the girl caused a "traumatic adoption experience."
Prosecutors said the Barnetts had the girl's age legally changed from 8 to 22-years-old. That process remains unclear. The family then left the girl in an apartment on North 11th Street in Lafayette before moving to Canada, according to court documents.
Michael and Kristine Barnett both appeared in Tippecanoe County in September for an initial hearing and pleaded not guilty. A jury trial date has been set for the parents on Jan. 28.
- Woman accused of abandoning adopted child in Lafayette wants to leave state
- Father accused of abandoning adopted girl arrested, bonds out
- Lafayette man accused of possessing child pornography
- West Lafayette man accused of child molestation
- Prosecutors: Couple abandons child in Lafayette, changes her age, flees to Canada
- Arrest warrants filed for parents accused of abandoning girl in Lafayette
- Adoptive families in Greater Lafayette came together with a picnic
- Bill insures full disclosure of adoptive child health history
- Mother who adopted child, fled to Canada turns herself in
- Homeless woman accused of beating child at bus depot