MADISON, Wis. (AP) — The University of Wisconsin has canceled its spring football game due to the threat of inclement weather. The game was set for 6 p.m. Friday at Camp Randall Stadium and won't be rescheduled.
"The safety of our student-athletes and fans is our utmost priority," UW athletic director Barry Alvarez said in a release. "We thought it was best to make the call early to give the numerous groups involved in the game, including our team, our fans, our media partners and staff, notice of the cancellation as soon as possible."
With the forecast calling for a strong chance of heavy rain and thunderstorms, the Badgers will hold an indoor practice at the McClain Center on Friday that won't be open to the public.
Fans who already purchased tickets to the game will receive a full refund.
The Badger Sports Kids' Fair, which was scheduled to take place in the McClain Center from 4:30-6 p.m., is also canceled.
"It's certainly disappointing for our fans who wanted a chance to see our team and for our players who always look forward to playing in Camp Randall," UW coach Paul Chryst said in the release. "Unfortunately some things are beyond your control."
The Bucky's Locker Room Annual Spring Sidewalk Sale, located at Gate 1 of Camp Randall, will continue as scheduled Thursday-Sunday.
UW will practice five more times this spring, concluding with an evening session April 20.
- Wisconsin cancels spring football game due to threat of inclement weather
- 13th annual Germanfest cancelled due to weather
- Info: Upcoming Purdue football spring game
- Spring property taxes due Thursday
- Lafayette's Art in the Park cancelled due to weather
- Purdue releases spring football schedule
- Severe weather threat
- Storms prompt cancellation of Cubs-Reds game
- Purdue softball takes game one of Wisconsin series 3-2
- Round the Fountain Art Fair canceled for the first time due to projected severe weather