WHITE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) -- The Monon town marshal said an unlicensed driver was taken into custody Friday, after a pursuit that reached speeds around 100 miles per hour.
It started about a quarter past 7 p.m., eastbound on State Road 16. The chase ended after a crash roughly five minutes later. Investigators said the driver failed to navigate a turn.
He then allegedly ran away and jumped into Lake Shafer to try and escape. An officer in the pursuit swam after him and brought him back to shore.
Authorities said Anthony Rayburn faces two preliminary counts of resisting law enforcement, and one count of operating a vehicle without ever receiving a license. They are also awaiting toxicology results to determine whether drugs or alcohol were involved.
- Police say chase suspect fled into Lake Shafer
- Body pulled from Lake Shafer identified
- Coroner: Man pulled from Lake Shafer died accidentally
- Boaters continue to dodge floating debris in Lake Shafer
- Victims in speedboat accident on Lake Shafer identified
- Two airlifted Saturday night in boat accident on Lake Shafer
- People living along Lake Shafer react to boat crash
- DNR patrols Lake Shafer for safety violations over Memorial Day Weekend
- Driver of car that drove into Lake Shafer arrested on unrelated charges
- Lower levels ordered for Freeman and Shafer to protect mussels