WHITE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) -- White County hosted its 'Shop with a Cop' event at the Walmart in Monticello Dec. 9.
Detective David Roth and Deputy David Rozzi with the White County Sheriff's Office brought the event to town eight years ago. They wanted to focus on helping families in and around White County for the holiday season.
More than 50 officers under FOP Lodge 123 shopped with 75 kids.
Each child was given a $200 limit. $125 went to winter essentials and the rest for Christmas toys. Detective Roth said this event gives the kids a chance to experience a good Christmas.
“Some of these families may not be able to experience Christmas at all, some of these kids may not be able to experience Christmas at all, so for us, like I said, it's our one chance that we get to positively impact our community,” said Roth.
Detective Roth said although the kids go home with clothes and toys, the officers take something away as well.
“A lot of times, you don't feel that closer, feel that rewarding value on a call on a normal call of service, for us, this is about as rewarding as you can get,” said Roth.
Participating families are residents of Pulaski, White and Carroll County. 100% of the money raised for the event were donations from each community.
- White County hosts 8th annual 'Shop with a Cop' at Walmart in Monticello
- White County Sheriff's Office searching for missing Monticello man
- Monticello teacher attends space camp
- White County Republicans host annual Lincoln Day Dinner
- Monticello factory investigating injury of employee
- Monticello woman dead after Sunday morning crash
- Shop With a Cop brings community together
- Food Finders kicks off 8th annual Food Drive.
- 60 police officers shop with Tippecanoe County kids for 'Shop with a Cop' event
- Purdue hosts annual 5k Challenge