WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI)—The very first wheel rise event was held today at the Purdue gymnasium.
The event centers around raising awareness for Paralympic sports.
Today many athletes gathered on the court for a game of basketball.
Thanks to Purdue Athletics and the College of Engineering Paralympians from the University of Illinois wheelchair basketball team.
There were also several gold medalists from the 2016 Summer Paralympics in Rio de Janeiro at the game.
Purdue Junior and organizer, Leony Boudreau, said this will enlighten and educate the community.
"We have the technology right now to help paralympic sports and we're just not using it because the word is not out there," said Boudreau. "So I really want us to have the focus in trying to help them achieve their full potential."
The event used collected donations for the Challenged Athlete Foundation.
- Wheel Rise event celebrates paralympic athletes
- LPD receives its office on wheels
- Purdue student competes on Wheel of Fortune
- 10,000 people to be fed through local Rise Against Hunger event
- Party on wheels could soon roll into West Lafayette
- Company specializing in steel wheels plans Indiana facility
- Athletes prepare for Senior Games
- Counterfeiting is on the rise
- Purdue to host MLK Jr, celebration; many free events at the university
- Families of Abby and Libby host 3rd annual Celebration of Life event