WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Patsy Hughes has been breast cancer-free for 50 years. She celebrated with a tea and cake party at the Friendship house in West Lafayette.
When she was 33, she had a mastectomy and 32 cobalt treatments.
She said chemotherapy wasn't an option for her back then.
Hughes is happy breast cancer research is advancing.
And although treatment is much different now, she still has the same advice to those diagnosed today.
"All you have to do is have a lot of faith and know that God ain't finished with you yet," said Hughes.
She said she also survived with the help of her husband.
"His name is John Hughes and I was married to him for quite a while," said Hughes. "Without him, I would never have made it."
But surviving cancer isn't Patsy's only accomplishment.
Her friends bragged about her 73 medals from Senior Games.
She's 84 years old but says she feels about 50 and sometimes acts like she's ten.
- West Lafayette woman celebrates 50 years cancer-free
- West Lafayette celebrates class of 2018
- Woman's warning about a West Lafayette McDonald's
- West Lafayette woman injured in dog attack
- West Lafayette woman facing welfare fraud charges
- Lafayette celebrates Indian culture
- West Lafayette High School celebrates Wall of Pride nominees
- West Lafayette Intermediate School celebrates opening of new building
- A six-year-old from West Lafayette with epilepsy celebrates her first slumber party
- Lafayette holding free mulch giveaway