WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — During the past 18 months, West Lafayette police have collected 50 bikes from around the city. Some were left behind by previous owners, but now these bikes need a new home.
Saturday, the West Lafayette Police Department is hosting a silent bike auction. It will be held at the West Lafayette Parks Department. the department is located across the street from fire station number three on Kalberer Road.
The bikes will be auctioned off starting at $1. You have to pay in cash and take the bike with you after it's purchased.
"It's wonderful to be able to give back to the community," said WLPD's Property and Evidence Manager Cindy Marion. "That's been pretty much my whole career and our officers are very caring and they like to do a lot for the community. So, hopefully, this will work well."
This is the first time the city if hosting a silent bike auction. If things go well this Saturday, they hope to make this a tradition.
"Normally we send them off to an auction, but this will give an opportunity for the people in the area to be able to bid on the bikes and hopefully get a few good bikes for a really reasonable price," Marion said.
People will be allowed to view bikes to bid on from 9 to 10 a.m. on Saturday. The auction starts at 10 a.m. and ends at 11 a.m.
- West Lafayette silent bike auction happening Saturday
- Silent auction fundraiser held for Owen Jones
- West Lafayette proposes changes to bike ordinance
- Sobriety checkpoints happening in West Lafayette
- Veterans appreciation luncheon happening Saturday
- Lafayette Jeff, West Lafayette schedule football series
- Cooke, West Lafayette top Lafayette Jeff 2-0
- 4th Annual Boiler Con happening Saturday
- West Lafayette pools open Thursday
- West Lafayette native makes history