WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — The flow of traffic around Purdue University's campus is changing once again due to the State Street Redevelopment Project. A portion of McCormick Road is closed, but this closure comes with some good news.
McCormick Road is currently closed from State to Third streets. At first, crews only shut down one lane of traffic on this stretch of roadway. To speed up the project, the decision was made last week to close both lanes.
"Things are moving on schedule, things are looking really good," said West Lafayette Project Engineer Dan Auckley. "As long as the weather keeps cooperating with us, we'll keep having a smooth running project like we've had this year."
Auckley said by closing both lanes of McCormick Road, crews can speed up their work. Storm and sewer pipe is being put in and the road is being completely reconstructed with brand new curbs and sidewalks.
The hope to reopen this portion of McCormick Road about one month earlier than originally planned.
"We already had the entrances restricted coming into the Purdue West Shopping center," said Auckley. " We went ahead and made the decision to shut it down completely, that way they can speed up their work. Originally it wasn't going to open back up until about Nov 30."
Work is expected to be complete by Oct 20. That is right before Purdue goes head to head against The Ohio State University football team.
- One West Lafayette road closure pushes a construction project ahead of schedule
- Lafayette Jeff, West Lafayette schedule football series
- West Lafayette begins planning for Lindberg Road construction
- Main Street closure pushed back
- A popular West Lafayette intersection construction closure moved due to weather
- Temporary road closures announced around The Hub construction in W. Lafayette
- North River Road closure rescheduled
- Schedule slips on Sagamore bridge construction
- Meeting being held for upcoming West Lafayette repaving project
- West Lafayette City Council proposes lengthy redevelopment project