WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — The West Lafayette Street Department is ending its recycling drop-off center services after Monday, May 13.
The West Lafayette Street Department announced plans to close its 24/7 recycling drop-off center services last year. The city has been trying to hold off, but couldn't wait any longer.
“We have thoroughly enjoyed being able to serve the community in this manner and it is only a space thing is the reason why we can not continue to do it here,” said West Lafayette Street Commissioner Ben Anderson.
Anderson said the city's street department has been the main hub for recycling drop-off across the county for nearly 20 years.
But as West Lafayette's population grows, so does the need for development space.
“We've tried to give it as much time as we could and we've delayed our project and delayed our stuff to be able to stretch it as long as we could,” said Anderson.
The goal was for the county to get a new recycling drop-off facility up and running before the closure. But Tippecanoe County Commissioner Tracy Brown said it's not that easy.
“We had hoped to actually have our system up and operational right now but because it does involve the purchase of some equipment and some excavating work or site work, it's going to take a little bit longer,” said Brown.
For now, the county is directing the community to use its temporary recycling drop-off location. The Trash Transfer Station located on North 9th Street.
“Folks can still drop off recyclable items, plastic, glass, metals, mixed paper, corrugated cardboard, all the things that they're used to dropping off in West Lafayette,” said Brown.
The West Lafayette Street Department's food waste and cooking oil bins will still be available for community drop-off. The county also plans to add additional recycling services to the North 9th Street Location this summer.
Mon-Wed-Fri 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Tues-Thurs 7:00 am to 6:00 p.m.
Sat 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- West Lafayette recycling drop-off center to close after this week
- West Lafayette 24-hour drop off recycling center is relocating
- West Lafayette could expand trash and recycling services
- Morton Center named West Lafayette City Hall
- West Lafayette Scotty's Brewhouse closes overnight
- Community input still needed for West Lafayette's proposed rec center
- West Lafayette Schools developing plan for new aquatics center
- City shares preliminary ideas for West Lafayette rec center
- City of West Lafayette holds meeting on proposed recreation center
- West Lafayette city hall and recreation center planning phase