WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — West Lafayette Mayor John Dennis is sporting a Lafayette Jeff jersey this Tuesday. This comes after losing a bet with Lafayette Mayor Tony Roswarski.
In August, the West Lafayette Red Devils and the Lafayette Jeff Bronchos went head to head in their first football game of the season. Lafayette Jeff won by eight points.
This is the second time the two schools have competed in nearly 70 years. As the two teams re-spark the rivalry, the mayors wanted in on the fun as well.
Mayor Dennis said despite the outcome, it was a great game.
“Actually, it was one of the most amazing games I've ever seen. High scoring, I mean, it was competitive, and it was really entertaining to watch but, at the end of the game Jeff came out on top,” said Dennis.
Last year, Mayor Dennis presented Mayor Roswarski with a West Lafayette jersey after their win. Mayor Dennis said this bet comes with a lot of history.
“I played for West Lafayette, Tony played for Lafayette Jeff we were police officers together for over 20 years in Lafayette, we're now Mayors of each city they just kind of built this pyramid for having this great game, and this great rivalry to sort of be initiated,” said Dennis.
- West Lafayette mayor sports Lafayette Jeff jersey after losing bet
- Lafayette Jeff, West Lafayette schedule football series
- Cooke, West Lafayette top Lafayette Jeff 2-0
- Lafayette Jeff getting new sports performance center
- Jeff softball too much for West Lafayette
- Reif, Omonode lead West Lafayette past Lafayette Jeff 52-34
- Mayor Tony Roswarski Loses A Bet
- Dennis vs. Baiel; West Lafayette mayoral race
- 'I'm not interested in losing' – Mark Barnhizer on Lafayette Jeff
- Lafayette Jeff tops West Lafayette 41-40 to claim Franciscan Health Hoops Classic championship