CLINTON COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — A fraternity and a student at Purdue University have been suspended after a reported rape at an event in Clinton County.
The Interfraternity Council suspended Sigma Tau Gamma, pending a further investigation. A news release from Purdue said the fraternity was the host of an event on Clinton County Road 0 North South Saturday night.
Richard Chan, Courtesy of Clinton County Sheriff's Office
Deputies were called to a Lafayette hospital where a woman was able to identify her attacker as 18-year-old Richard Chan, originally from New Jersey. Deputies then went to his West Lafayette residence and arrested him, according to the sheriff's office. Purdue said Chan, a freshman, has been suspended from the university, pending further investigation.
Chan was taken to the Clinton County Jail and faces a preliminary felony rape charge.
Purdue said the student victim is receiving support and care. Chan remains incarcerated.
The suspension is an interim action while the investigation is underway, according to IFC President Nathan Longo. All chapter activities have stopped. Longo said IFC uses the interim suspension in any situation that significantly jeopardizes the health and safety of a member or guest.
Longo said the chapter's status at Purdue will be determined after the investigation and potential adjudication are completed.
"The Interfraternity Council and its associated council counterparts have numerous policies and procedures in place to prevent these types of situations from occurring," Longo wrote in response to News 18. "As a community, we stay fully committed to the continual education, training, prevention, and enforcement of such polices and issues."
Sigma Tau Gamma Communications released the following statement:
On October 20, 2019, Sigma Tau Gamma Headquarters Staff learned of a report of a Title IX allegation involving a former associate member of the Beta Theta Chapter at Purdue University. Due to the allegations, the associate member has received notice of removal from the organization. The chapter has been placed on Cease & Desist by Sigma Tau Gamma Headquarters Staff to support the university's investigation into the allegation. The safety and security of Sigma Tau Gamma members and guests is our top priority. All members have been encouraged to cooperate with authorities during the investigation.
- Fraternity at Purdue suspended after reported rape
- Woman sues Butler, fraternity after 2016 student rape report
- IU suspends fraternity social events until next spring
- Delta Chi fraternity chapter suspended at Indiana University
- Purdue suspends classes Wednesday; employees to report for normal operations
- Purdue fraternity raises money for Frankfort house fire victims
- Purdue Fraternity hosts hog roast for a cause
- Person reports drugging and sexual assault at fraternity
- Purdue student found not guilty of rape
- Ohio University suspends all IFC fraternities on Athens campus after hazing allegations