WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - West Lafayette city leaders will start planning for future development in the downtown area. While several high-rise buildings are already changing the skyline, a new plan will include the surrounding area.
"It excites me to know that there's a lot of investment going into the area," said Marek Davis, a student at Purdue University.
Thousands of Purdue students call West Lafayette their home away from home. Some News 18 spoke to Thursday said it's important to look to the future.
"Being proud to be a Boilermaker, I hope that in the future, I can come home to my alma mater and have a lot of really cool stuff to see," said Davis.
West Lafayette city leaders hope so too. That's why they started working on a land use plan that will guide future development in the downtown area.
"When a developer is trying to decide if they want to do a project, they need to look and see what we're actually interested in seeing in the community to see if that's something that's viable or something we're interested in," said Erik Carlson, Director of Development.
A map of the area includes the Village and Levee. While several high-rises are already going up, Carlson said the plan will also include the surrounding area.
"This will go ahead and memorialize it and finish out the area as a whole where taller buildings can be, where setbacks need to be, so they get shorter as they come into residential areas," said Carlson.
Even though these older students will be gone when developments go up, they know the downtown area is in good hands.
"I think it's a good thing. It's always important to have some long-term planning and they'll always have some goals," said Brian Rice.
On Monday, the city council will vote to start a land use plan for the downtown area. They will also vote to finalize a land use plan for development along the U.S. 231 corridor.
- West Lafayette looking to plan for future development in downtown area
- West Lafayette Schools developing plan for new aquatics center
- New development planned for Chauncey Hill Mall in West Lafayette
- West Lafayette building streets for the future
- Plans for the downtown Lafayette Christmas parade
- New housing developments coming downtown
- New development "revitalizes" downtown Frankfort
- Downtown development looking for clients
- West Lafayette city inspectors busy with increasing development
- West Lafayette and Purdue look toward future growth