WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — West Lafayette leaders are anticipating "The Tap" Brewery coming to Chauncey Hill.
Construction has been delayed this month but the project is still at the forefront for city planners. Project engineer Dan Auckley said some building equipment didn't arrive on time but once it does, construction will continue.
"The Tap" is a craft brewery with a pub food menu. It'll be located in the retail space underneath "The Rise" apartments.
This project is part of major redevelopment coming to the city's downtown area.
"We cater to our student population, but it's our static population that wants some diversity in restaurant options as well and we've spent a lot of time and a lot of money building a brand new downtown," said West Lafayette Mayor John Dennis. "Having commercial investments like "The Tap" really does sort of attract not just the students but also people who have lived here for a long time."
Mayor Dennis said downtown West Lafayette is starting to reflect major cities.
"The size of the buildings that we've had placed here and the location and the proximity to Purdue, it is really unique and it is somewhat reflective of downtown Chicago and that's actually what people have told us and we feel that's a very high compliment," said Dennis. "When you think about our student population, a lot of them come from major metropolitan areas, especially our international group and this is a much more home-like feeling for all of our students."
"The Tap" Brewery is set for completion this summer. You can find the bar's other locations in downtown Indianapolis and Bloomington.
The brewery joins the Morton Community Center City Hall and the Wellness and Aquatics Center projects also set for completion this year.
- West Lafayette leaders anticipate 'The Tap' Brewery coming to town
- The Tap Brewery coming to Chauncey Hill
- Anticipating Alberto's Rainfall
- History lecture series coming to West Lafayette
- West Lafayette bridge to come down
- Pedestrian plazas possibly coming to West Lafayette
- McAlister's Deli coming to West Lafayette
- Micro-brewery brings new gathering place to town
- Four Greater Lafayette breweries place in Indiana Brewers' Cup
- More trees are coming to West Lafayette this spring