WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — The last time the West Lafayette football team appeared in the Class 3-A state title game, the Red Devils current seniors were just freshman. RDP came out on the losing end back in 20-15. Not the start the Class of 2019 envisioned, but here we are again. West Side is one more win away and one more day away from its name in Indiana High School football's history books.
"It hasn't really been much of a surprise," said senior offensive lineman Seif Benjemia.
That's the expectation. At a time when most high school teams have traded shoulder pads in for the respective winter sports, West Lafayette has unfinished business to take care of on the football field.
"It's our goal to win a state championship," said head coach Shane Fry.
The 2018 edition of RDP football has upheld that lofty expectation. West Side's senior class has a lot of talent but going 14-0 often takes more than what you see on the field.
"I do have a correction on that. I didn't score five touchdowns. We scored five touchdowns," said senior running back Sage Hood.
In fact, we made the mistake of telling senior running back Sage Hood how good his performance was in the semi-state against Fort Wayne Bishop Luers. A stellar performance, and he'll take none of the credit.
"Kyle had to throw the pass. The O-line had to make the block," said Hood
It's a testament to the leadership West Side has and that attitude makes this team confident.
"We just need to play as Sage said West Side football and we'll be fine," said senior defensive end George Karlaftis.
So when the Red Devils step foot inside Purdue's Mollenkopf Center to prepare for Evansville Memorial and a state title game there were no surprised faces. Just focus and a championship attitude.
"We're not looking to be the best team in August and September. We want to be the best team in November," said Fry.
- West Lafayette football program eyes first state title since 2009
- 2018 West Lafayette football team receives state title rings
- West Lafayette eyes revenge, regional title in rematch with Brebeuf
- Lafayette Jeff, West Lafayette schedule football series
- McCutcheon, West Lafayette win sectional volleyball titles
- West Lafayette prepares for Purdue football traffic
- Pioneer wins program's first softball state title
- McCutcheon eyes first sectional title since 1999
- West Lafayette Awarded for State Street Project
- West Lafayette edges Evansville Memorial 47-42, to claim Class 3A state title