Photo Gallery 3 Images
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Most people have probably been hoping for a winter weather warm up, but one West Lafayette woman was hoping for the opposite to build her colorful creation.
With help from her boyfriend and 130 milk cartons, Laura Thornton was able to build an igloo in her backyard. She saw the idea on Pinterest about a year ago and finally decided to try it out.
"I've made lots of snow igloos growing up, but nothing like so to the point of like having ice blocks and stuff," said Thornton "So, that was just kind of reliving my child years as one would say."
To build it, the couple cut the top of the milk cartons off, filled them with water and added food coloring. It took about two days getting everything ready and the overall build time was about five hours.
"It was awesome, just that sense of accomplishment and something I've been wanting to do for a year now," said Thornton. "Everyone kind of made fun of me, 'oh you aren't gonna get this done,' and I finally did get it done!"
Thornton says in a few years, when she forgets about much work this took to build, she will build it again.
- West Lafayette couple creates igloo with 130 milk cartons
- Lafayette Jeff, West Lafayette schedule football series
- Cooke, West Lafayette top Lafayette Jeff 2-0
- Students create new mural in downtown Lafayette
- Purdue adds 130 dB train horn to Ross-Ade Stadium
- West Lafayette pools open Thursday
- West Lafayette native makes history
- West Lafayette K-9 unexpectedly euthanized
- West Lafayette K9 Barry memorialized
- Lafayette couple takes a leap for love