WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Plans are in place to remove an old bridge in West Lafayette. Director of Development Erik Carlson said the Newman Road underpass just doesn't fit with the area anymore.
Also, the bridge is only one lane and unsafe. A little more than a year ago, West Lafayette was passed up after being a top four choice to bring Blue Origin, a spaceflight manufacturer to the city.
Carlson said the company loved all that was happening in the Purdue Discovery Park, but it didn't see the operation working successfully because of the bridge.
"Having that bridge, you can't get a semi truck through it and you can't safely have employees coming to and from a site, and so if we are going to see development in that area which will bring very good high paying jobs to this community," said Carlson.
Carlson said demolition is still a few years away, but the project is of high importance because the city doesn't want to miss out on any opportunities.
- West Lafayette bridge to come down
- Lafayette Jeff, West Lafayette schedule football series
- Cooke, West Lafayette top Lafayette Jeff 2-0
- West Lafayette pools open Thursday
- West Lafayette native makes history
- West Lafayette K-9 unexpectedly euthanized
- West Lafayette K9 Barry memorialized
- New pedestrian bridge, more public space proposed in future downtown West Lafayette
- Lafayette and West Lafayette team up for pedestrian trail funding
- Visit Lafayette-West Lafayette invites you to 2019 Tourism Tailgate