WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — West Lafayette's Scotty's Brewhouse has closed its doors, eight months after the company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
According to a sign posted on its door Saturday morning, all Scotty's Brewhouse and Thr3e Wise Men Brewing Company locations "would be ceasing effective July 20, 2019."
"The Company has been struggling for some time and unfortunately could not overcome the deficit," the sign read.
The restaurant is located in the Wabash Landing at 352 E State Street.
At least three investors have sued the founder of Scotty’s Brewhouse, WISH-TV reports. The lawsuits claim Scott Wise defrauded investors and lost more than a million dollars when he sold the chain in 2016. Wise has denied any wrongdoing in that case.
The announcement comes just weeks after Scotty’s Brewhouse in Fort Wayne closed, which added to four other locations that had closed since December, according to WISH-TV.
.#BREAKING: West Lafayette’s Scotty’s Brewhouse closes overnight, according to a sign posted to their door. Company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in Dec ‘18.
— Trevor Peters (@TrevorPetersTV) July 20, 2019
"Now we have to find somewhere else to go,” said Purdue student Kate Arnold.
Chase Wilkinson and his family drove all the way from Indianapolis to eat at the restaurant.
"I'm furious actually,” said customer Wilkinson. “I was so hungry and I was ready for some Scotty's! Look at that! It's closed."
"The ones in Indy are fine,” said Wilkinson. “They were going good too. But I don't know what happen to this one."
The company has been open for 22 years, according to the company's statement. Purdue student Kate Arnold said this choice for food will be missed.
"I'm shocked,” said Arnold. “I'm surprised that they're all closed now. I'm a student here and I had family come and visit me and we just always loved Scotty's."
Arnold said the restaurant never seemed to struggle for business.
"It was usually pretty busy,” said Arnold. “A lot of people coming in it was nice. People were always expecting it to be full."
News 18 spoke with a representative for the company on Saturday who says they are not sure what the future for Scotty's Brewhouse looks like.
- West Lafayette Scotty's Brewhouse closes overnight
- Potential buyers looking at Scotty's Brewhouse
- West Lafayette Scotty's Brewhouse to remain open despite chain filing for bankruptcy
- West Lafayette home destroyed in overnight fire
- Lafayette, West Lafayette, Tippecanoe Schools all closed Thursday
- KitchenArt set to close after 25 years in West Lafayette
- Lafayette Jeff, West Lafayette schedule football series
- Cooke, West Lafayette top Lafayette Jeff 2-0
- Jury finds Scottie Kincade guilty of murdering Williamsport woman
- West Lafayette pools open Thursday