WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - The Schweitzer Engineering Laboratory on Purdue's Campus is complete and operational. Chief Technology Officer Edmund Schweitzer helped debut the building on Wednesday. He signed the first product made in the building and helped assemble it.
Leaders from the university and SEL broke ground on the site in September of 2018. This building is part of the growing Discovery Park District and is part of a 30-year plan to transform the west side of the Purdue University campus by combining collaborative office and lab space with residential homes, pavilions, green space, walking paths, restaurants and retail.
The last time we reported from the SEL building, some of the first beams put in place were blown over in a strong wind system last March. Despite that small setback, Purdue's SEL building is now thriving with a growing staff from all over the country. They even decided to preserve a piece of warped metal found on the construction site that day and it's on display in the lobby of the building.
As a Purdue graduate, Schweitzer said he's excited to begin having an impact on a community that gave so much to him.
"SEL being right next to Purdue gives great opportunities for students, faculty and people in the Lafayette and West Lafayette communities," said the class of 1968 grad.
SEL creates the electrical technology that gets power back on to homes and business when there are problems with power lines.
Jake Church is the factory manager. He said there is great energy among the team members who moved to West Lafayette from near and far.
"We brought the team out here from Washington, Idaho and Illinois," he said. "Every single person wanted to come here, they are excited to be here, they love the opportunity."
There are currently 35 employees, five are from the Greater Lafayette area. The company is now accepting applications for various positions. Click here to learn more.
- West Lafayette Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories building open for business
- Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories breaks ground on new facility near Purdue
- West Lafayette pools open Thursday
- West Lafayette Intermediate School celebrates opening of new building
- West Lafayette building streets for the future
- West Lafayette businesses dealing without Purdue students
- Vandals strike two West Lafayette businesses
- Franciscan Health Lafayette opens new West Tower
- Indian & International Grocery opens in West Lafayette
- West Lafayette Fresh Thyme announces opening date