Just one week until West Lafayette Intermediate School opens its doors to staff and students. They took a tour of the new building to get familiar with what will be their new place of learning.
The school is almost ready but before classes begin the students took a tour. The intermediate school will include grades four, five and six, and Principal Margaret Psarros said the students are very excited.
"They are giddy, they are so excited. They are thrilled to be here. They have seen pictures. A lot of them have asked their teachers to show them pictures,” said Psarros.
This is the first time students are able to see the inside of the building and all the new additions that weren't at the old school. Psarros said there are lots of new additions.
"We will have a working kitchen. We will have a band room, which we don't currently have. And so those are two big changes that are positive as far as the spaces that are available in this new building," said Psarros.
Other new spaces include a media center and a work out facility. Principal Psarros says these new rooms will match the quality of their programs.
"We had older buildings and we had great programs and our students benefited from our programs,” said Psarros. “We could teach anywhere but why not match our programs and our building. So I think now we finally have that."
West Lafayette Intermediate School's Sixth grade teacher Brien Dick is looking forward to teaching at the upgraded school.
"It's hard to believe that after all the years of waiting for this to happen, that it's finally here," said Dick.
He says the school tour was a great opportunity for the students to preview where they'll be for their middle school years.
"This place will be filled with students, moving all around, checking out books, trying to figure out where everything is at because this one tour,” said Dick. “I'm sure is not going to help a whole lot, but it does, it just builds the excitement."
- West Lafayette Intermediate school hosts tour for students
- School board announces opening dates for West Lafayette Intermediate School
- West Lafayette Intermediate School celebrates opening of new building
- Intermediate school construction on track
- Battle Ground Intermediate School hosts annual wax museum
- City works to make streets around new West Lafayette Intermediate School safer
- Touring hidden gems around West Lafayette
- New WL intermediate school receives name
- Sunnyside Intermediate School completes its $9 million wing
- West Lafayette Schools approve new athletic director