WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI)- The West Lafayette Community School Corporation started the 2019-2020 school year on Thursday, and one school in particular is very excited about it.
It's the first full academic year at West Lafayette Intermediate School.
You may remember the new building opened in mid-October in 2018. Classes at WLIS started on October 16th.
News 18 spoke with Margaret Psarros, the principal of WLIS, who said starting out a fresh year in the same building is going to be great for the school.
She explained how last year school basically had to restart in October once everyone was moved from the former Happy Hollow Elementary to WLIS. She said that's because procedures were different for each building.
Psarros is most excited for the school's first full year to have some continuity.
"To be able to see the students grow in one place and not have to wonder if the transition had anything to do with how they were feeling along the way," Psarros explained. "Because we were concerned how staff and students were feeling about the change."
Last year's transition from Happy Hollow to the new West Lafayette Intermediate School was difficult for those involved.
Psarros told News 18 it was hard on staff because they all had to spend a lot of after hours setting up two different classrooms.
Psarros explained how some students don't do well with transitions, so having an extra change in the year can be difficult on their behavior.
She said it's nice to start the year off in the same place.
"This year we don't have to deal with any of that so we can focus on what we're doing with our students, our learning, what we're teaching academically, how we're teaching it," Psarros said.
WLIS is the first new West Lafayette school to be built in the city since the 1960's.
- West Lafayette Intermediate School's first full academic year
- School board announces opening dates for West Lafayette Intermediate School
- West Lafayette Intermediate school hosts tour for students
- West Lafayette Intermediate School celebrates opening of new building
- Intermediate school construction on track
- City works to make streets around new West Lafayette Intermediate School safer
- New WL intermediate school receives name
- Lafayette School Corporation has a full agenda
- Battle Ground Intermediate School hosts annual wax museum
- Sunnyside Intermediate School completes its $9 million wing