WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - The West Lafayette Community School Corporation has dropped its lawsuit against the state, but joined two Northern Indiana school corporations in their lawsuit.
As previously reported, the school district is challenging a law requiring public school corporations to lease unused buildings to charter schools for one dollar.
Last week, West Lafayette Community School Corporation withdrew its lawsuit against the state.
"We moved to dismiss our lawsuit without prejudice. The court granted it and we filed a motion to intervene up in Lake County,” said school district attorney Robert Reiling.
According to Reiling, there were concerns about the case's "ripeness".
"It's a procedural concept, and that is, "should you be in front of the court to hear this matter?”” said Reiling.
West Lafayette now joins Lake Ridge School Corporation and the School City of Hammond. Both filed similar lawsuits against the state in Lake County.
Superintendent Rocky Killion believes the district's taxpayer petition will help in the new case.
"Adding that to two school districts that have empty buildings just makes this case more capable of being heard,” said Killion.
While there have been talks of an early childhood center at Happy Hollow, Killion said they cannot fully plan for the future of the building.
"We cannot invest time and resources in determining the future of Happy Hollow until we determine the legalities of this law,” said Killion.
The three school corporations must wait to see if their case will be heard, but Killion believes this is the right direction for the lawsuit.
"I think the only way to get these things challenged right now is through these types of processes,” said Killion.
Killion said a hearing for the new case has not been scheduled.
- West Lafayette Community School Corporation's Lawsuit Changes Direction
- West Lafayette Community School Corporation suing State of Indiana
- West Lafayette Community School Corporation Ranks #20 nationwide for STEM
- West Lafayette Community School Corporation holding open meeting over future of Happy Hollow
- Lafayette School Corporation projects are on track
- Lafayette School Corporation gets a food truck
- Lafayette School Corporation has a full agenda
- Delphi Community School Corporation working out finances
- New West Lafayette Community Garden is underway
- West Lafayette restaurant faces lawsuit after food poisoning death