WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — The budget for the new West Lafayette city hall building is set. The city's deputy director said in total, the project is expected to cost around $12,000,000.
It was decided in June the Morton Community Center would be converted into the new City Hall building. The city recently hired a construction manager and architect to begin designing.
Deputy Director of Development Erin Easter said the past public input meetings have been helpful as people in the community offered a significant amount of ideas regarding the future of the building.
The goal, according to Easter, is to meet the needs of city workers and also the people who live in the area. The city hall building will be based more on workflow and efficient workspace with space for people to use during government and community programs.
"So being able to preserve the history of the building and then create a new government hub for citizens and residents will be important," said Easter.
City Hall designs are now being mapped out and the format of the new space depends on the future Recreation and Aquatics Center being built in Cumberland Park. A $34,000,000 project.
Both planning phases for each project are happening around the same time to determine what facilities will be housed in each of the buildings. Morton community center currently hosts government meetings, but also community events and services. The construction managers are now helping to decide what will go where.
"What are the things there that are better suited for here and vise versa," Easter said. "It's a good opportunity for us to look at all of the services that we offer the citizens of West Lafayette."
Officials hope to have everything mapped out and designated by spring of next year. Easter said the city will likely host more public input meetings to get a few more ideas from the community. WLFI will share those dates with you once they become available.
City Hall construction is expected to begin in the spring and is expected to be complete by 2020.
- West Lafayette city hall and recreation center planning phase
- Morton Center named West Lafayette City Hall
- City of West Lafayette holds meeting on proposed recreation center
- WL recreation center planning continues
- West Lafayette weighs options for city hall
- Universal bathrooms coming to the new West Lafayette recreation center
- West Lafayette parks and recreation superintendent resigns
- City seeks feedback on developing recreational center
- West Lafayette narrows down location of future city hall
- West Lafayette announces final decision on city hall location