WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - The City of West Lafayette officially has designated emergency snow routes. The City Council approved the ordinance at Monday night's meeting. The ordinance says that all vehicles, trailers and other equipment parked along the designated roads must be moved when it snows.
These are the the roads that are part of the ordinance:
- Airport Road
- Cherry Lane
- Cumberland Avenue
- Grant Street
- Harrison Street
- Lindberg Road
- Russell Street
- Salisbury Street North of Stadium Avenue
- Stadium Avenue West of Grant Street
- State Street
Street Commissioner Ben Anderson said these roads were selected because they have street parking and are more narrow roads. He said they collaborated with local law enforcement to identify streets that become problems when it snows. And there could be consequences if you're car is left on one of these streets when it snows.
"We'd probably make efforts to try and make sure you get (your car) moved, if we can't get a hold of anybody, it's a $40 ticket and we would tow the car out of the area so we can continue to get the job done," said Anderson.
He emphasized that no matter how much snow is expected or actually falls, you should move your cars or trailers off the road just to be safe.
He said now that the ordinance is approved, they will start working on getting signs up as soon as possible.
- West Lafayette City Council approves emergency snow routes
- West Lafayette could be adding emergency snow routes
- Emergency snow routes in West Lafayette as snow hits the viewing area
- West Lafayette City Council recount case dismissed
- West Lafayette City Council proposes lengthy redevelopment project
- More candidates are running for West Lafayette City Council
- West Lafayette City Council candidate asks for recount
- Teenager becomes West Lafayette's youngest city council member
- 2020 West Lafayette City Council ready to work
- West Lafayette's plan for new downtown heading to city council