WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind (WLFI) — The West Lafayette 24-hour drop off recycling center is looking for a new space.
As the city's population has grown, so has the need for more space and resources.
Ben Anderson, Street Commissioner of the Street, Sanitation and Recycling Department said it's starting to affect the way the department can get its jobs done.
“We are just on top of ourselves and we need the space to continue to provide the service and operation that we do on the daily for the citizens of West Lafayette,” said Anderson.
Right now, all the recycling goes through the Street and Sanitation Department but that's not its main job.
The department is responsible for the city’s street needs like snow and leaf removal, street signs, road paint and more.
“We need space we're in the process of building a new storage facility to house the equipment that we need to get the job done,” said Anderson.
They still have no leads on where the new facility will be but they promise they won't stop recycling services while they're looking.
In the meantime, the street department has kept in contact with the city and the county. Commissioner Tracy Brown said he wants the facility to not only be a new space but also run more smoothly.
“Signage, compactor, increased hours, where possible right now it's gonna be pretty limited once we move, public awareness campaign. The awareness is absolutely critical,” said Brown.
The city is currently working to set a location but Brown said the goal is to open the new center in late spring of 2019.
- West Lafayette 24-hour drop off recycling center is relocating
- West Lafayette recycling drop-off center to close after this week
- 24-hour automated library opens in Downtown Lafayette
- West Lafayette could expand trash and recycling services
- Morton Center named West Lafayette City Hall
- City looking to relocate historic downtown Lafayette sewer
- Unity's Miracles Rehabilitation to relocate
- West Lafayette Schools developing plan for new aquatics center
- City shares preliminary ideas for West Lafayette rec center
- City of West Lafayette holds meeting on proposed recreation center