WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — A West Lafayette teen accused of attacking his father with a knife was charged Tuesday with multiple charges including battery by means of a deadly weapon. 17-year-old John Vanderwielen was charged with:
- Attempted Aggravated Battery, Level 3 Felony
- Domestic Battery By Means of a Deadly Weapon, Level 5 Felony
- Battery By Means of a Deadly Weapon, Level 5 Felony
- Domestic Battery, Class A Misdemeanor
- Battery Resulting in Bodily Injury, Class A Misdemeanor
- Criminal Recklessness, Level 6 Felony
- Resisting Law Enforcement, Class A Misdemeanor
- Possession of Paraphernalia, Class C Misdemeanor
Tippecanoe Superior Court 3 waived John Vanderwielen to adult court Thursday, Feb. 14.
According to court documents on Jan. 26 at his home on Sunnycroft Place, Vanderwielen entered his mother's bedroom and began punching her in the face. Vanderwielen then went downstairs where his father was sleeping in a chair and began stabbing him.
Court documents said Vanderwielen fought with police during his arrest.
According to police, the teen was taken to the hospital for an alleged illegal substance he was on at the time of the incident.
- West Lafayette teen charged with battery after allegedly attacking father
- West Lafayette man faces battery charges
- West Lafayette teen accused of 'spontaneously" stabbing his father
- West Lafayette woman injured in dog attack
- Lafayette man charged in hatchet attack
- West Lafayette woman facing welfare fraud charges
- West Lafayette woman contemplates lawsuit over dog attack
- Lafayette Jeff, West Lafayette schedule football series
- West Lafayette pools open Thursday
- Lafayette teen charged with possession of firearm on school property