CARROLL COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI)-- A group from Lafayette is bringing back the history of weaving during Canal Days in Delphi.
Hannah Kaluf is a 14-year-old who spends her time weaving rugs with the Wabash Weavers Guild. She hasn't been with the group long, but said she's learning from the best.
"Even when you think you know what you're doing," said Kaluf. "It's always good to take advice from the people who have been in it for a long time."
A person like Jan Young who said even the teacher herself could learn a thing or two.
"Hannah is wonderful over on the loom, she came in and she's probably a better weaver than I am right now," said Young. "She's really into it.s She's a good teacher, she teaches the kids how to weave."
Group members are working looms that more than 200 years old. Setting up can take two to three days alone to create rugs, blankets and other materials.
Young said showing the community what weaving is can bring the skill back to life.
"It's good to see kids come in and weave because it is a craft that at one point was dying out and needs to a resurgence," said Young. 'It kind of goes up and down."
A hobby Kaluf said many of her classmates at school may not understand.
"I've had kids at school say that's a weird thing to do or that's dorky. And I'm like, it's not. It's something different,"
For the weavers, this is a productive way to spend their time off.
"I really recommend reenactment because otherwise there's not a lot of kids that are going to be doing this stuff, so this stuff is going to be a lost art. And I'm trying to get kids from school interested in it."
The group meets on the third Friday of the month in the historic building of TCHA and offer equipment new members can borrow.
- Weavers bring history back to life at Canal Days
- The Historic E.M. Weaver Building to be demolished
- Part of E.M. Weaver building falls down overnight
- Owner of E.M. Weaver Building Shares Plans for the Future
- Take a trip back to the 1800s at Delphi's Canal Days Festival
- Volunteers prepare Canal Park for winter
- Delphi Canal Park open for winter
- WLFI History
- McDonald's brings back Shamrock Shakes, Szechuan sauce
- Local Weather History: Independence Day Weather