LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) -- The city of Lafayette is getting ready to replace some aging infrastructure along a busy street.
The more than $1.8 million contract was awarded Tuesday, and it will replace water mains along 4th Street.
Waterworks Superintendent Kerry Smith said mains in this area break often.
During construction, the street will be down to one lane between Kossuth and Owen Streets. It will also be down to one lane between Montefiore Street and La Rosa Court.
The lane closures are expected to last 3 to 4 weeks. Smith said while the restrictions may be inconveniencing, it's worth it once work is done.
"When we do have an emergency down there, we don't know when that's going to happen," said Smith. "Then that definitely disrupts traffic and that could be anytime. Day or night. So, bear with us please. We'll get in and out of there as quickly as we can."
Smith said work should begin in late May or early June.
- Water main replacement to cause lane restrictions on 4th Street
- Restrictions coming to Cason Street during water main project
- Main Street closure pushed back
- State Street closed due to water main break
- Salisbury and Sagamore lane restrictions on Monday
- Lane restrictions coming to US 52
- Nightly lane restrictions start on I-65
- Temporary lane restriction caused by sinkhole
- Dollar General on Main Street robbed
- Water main break reported at Veterans Home