TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) —Water levels on the Wabash River are expected to crest Thursday at 7 a.m. News 18 Meteorologist Amber Hardwick said the Wabash River through Lafayette will crest at moderate flood stage.
Happy Hollow and North River Roads are closed due to the flooding. If you are in the area, do not ignore the barriers and find an alternate route.
Lawrence Weathers moved into his home in 1939 and has seen North River Road close plenty of times.
"It's crazy, is the only thing I can say," said Weathers about the drivers who ignore the barriers. "I've seen it all here."
But you would be the one paying for the damage to your vehicle and receiving a ticket if you drive where roads are blocked off. The Tippecanoe County Sheriff's office said it's illegal to drive around the barriers.
Weathers said the water will likely be up past his mailbox by Thursday. But he won't be leaving anytime soon.
"I love it. The river's great."
For updated weather information as more rain falls, visit Weather Blog 18.
- Water levels on Wabash River will crest Thursday
- Wabash River Festival preparations underway
- Water Response Team pulls car out of Wabash River
- Wabash River Enhancement Corporation hosts Spring 2019 Wabash Sampling Blitz
- Bald eagles nesting along Wabash River
- Death of woman in Wabash River consistent with drowning
- Report classifies I-65 bridge over Wabash River 'structurally deficient'
- Ways you can help keep pollutants out of the Wabash River
- Body found in Wabash River ID'd as Illinois man who drowned