WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - West Lafayette Mayor John Dennis is putting the "sweet" in Sweet 16.
Ahead of Friday’s NCAA Sweet 16 matchup between the Purdue Boilermakers and the Texas Tech Red Raiders, Mayor John Dennis of and Mayor Dan Pope of Lubbock, Texas announced a friendly wager on the outcome of the game.
Dennis has bet a case of root beer from Triple XXX that the Boilermakers will win the schools' sweet sixteen face-off. If they do, Lubbock Mayor Dan Pope will pay up with a Texas classic - a barbecue brisket from Tom and Bingo's.
Triple XXX Owner Carrie Ehresman said she's confident the Boilermakers will win. But if they don't she said, "Well I'll put my barbecue up against their barbecue anytime so ya know, they can bring it, they can bring it."
In a weird twist, the brand of Triple XXX root beer started in Galveston, Texas.
- WL mayor is putting "sweet" in Sweet 16
- Purdue students excited for NCAA Sweet 16
- Purdue advances to Sweet 16 with win over Butler
- Sweet 16 trip serves as 'homecoming' for Purdue's Jacquil Taylor
- Texas Tech ends Purdue’s season in Sweet 16
- VIDEO: Isaac Haas limited at practice; doubtful for Sweet 16 game
- West Lafayette gardener harvests 6.5 pound sweet potato
- WL council puts trash and recycling expansion on hold
- Smoking policy for WL parks has been put on hold
- WL recreation center planning continues