Brookston, IN (WLFI)- Therapeion Therapeutic Riding Center is looking for volunteers this summer.
The horseback riding center is in need of horse handlers, side walkers and horse care.
Those interested must be 14 years of age or older.
They also must be able to walk 30 to 45 minutes without stopping, and reach over their head while being in a barn environment.
You don't need to know anything about working with people with disabilities or horses to volunteer.
Libby Marks-Shepard works at the center and says it's very rewarding to work with the people and animals.
"It's very rewarding to work with the animals, it's very rewarding to see someone, for example, take their first step, say their first word, make significant improvements in behavior all through therapeutic horsemanship," Marks-Shepard said.
If you are interested in volunteering, a mandatory orientation is being held this Saturday from 1 to 4 pm.
You can register here.
- Volunteers needed at Therapeion Therapeutic Riding Center
- Food Finders needs volunteers for the summer
- Volunteers needed for De-Trash the Wabash
- Volunteers needed to help fifth-grader hang scarves downtown
- Volunteers needed to help kids read to succeed
- Volunteers needed to help people through tough times
- Purdue students attempt two world records; need volunteers
- Community input still needed for West Lafayette's proposed rec center
- Local crisis center available for those in need
- Indiana Blood Center in desperate need of summer donations