MONTICELLO, Ind. (WLFI)—Around 9 p.m., Monticello Fire Department Water Rescue and Paramedics responded to a report of a speedboat carrying six people Saturday night that struck a large tree limb while traveling on Lake Shafer.
The serious accident happened on the North end of Lake Shafer near the intersection of West Shafer Dr. and County Rd. 800 North.
According to the Indiana Department of Natural Resources, Boat-operator Jason Ward, passengers James Scott and John Mahoney III were removed from the boat by rescue crews on the scene and were taken by Monticello Fire Department Paramedics to IU White Hospital.
Both Scott and Ward were airlifted to IU Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis around 9:30 p.m. with critical life-threatening injuries. The details of their injuries have yet to be released.
Mahoney was also treated and transported to IU White Hospital with what claimed to be non-life threatening injuries.
The DNR said they have reason to believe alcohol was involved in the incident but the investigation is still on-going.
WLFI will continue to update this story as we receive more information.
- Victims in speedboat accident on Lake Shafer identified
- Body pulled from Lake Shafer identified
- Two airlifted Saturday night in boat accident on Lake Shafer
- Coroner: Man pulled from Lake Shafer died accidentally
- Boaters continue to dodge floating debris in Lake Shafer
- People living along Lake Shafer react to boat crash
- Police say chase suspect fled into Lake Shafer
- DNR patrols Lake Shafer for safety violations over Memorial Day Weekend
- Driver of car that drove into Lake Shafer arrested on unrelated charges
- Lower levels ordered for Freeman and Shafer to protect mussels