WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — A "sight test" would make you believe this year's NCAA Tournament ranks highly – compared to past years – when it comes to upsets.
That sight test would be accurate.
When you add up the seed numbers of all the teams in this year's Sweet Sixteen, you get 85.
That's the third-highest number in Sweet Sixteen history.
The highest was 89 in 1986.
See the video above for Purdue coach Matt Painter's thoughts on the high number (and magnitude) of upsets this year.
- Upsets: Where does this NCAA Tournament rank historically?
- Purdue volleyball reacts to NCAA tournament draw
- Purdue WBB left out of NCAA Tournament
- Purdue baseball draws Houston in NCAA Tournament
- B1G moment: Rutgers upsets Indiana in conference tournament
- Purdue softball upsets Rutgers, advances in Big Ten Tournament
- Purdue volleyball beats High Point, advances in NCAA Tournament
- Purdue volleyball falls to Utah in NCAA Tournament
- Purdue's Carsen Edwards named to all-region team (NCAA Tournament)
- 1-on-1: Mark Wasikowski previews NCAA Tournament, Houston matchup