The story has been updated here: Officials release names and details from fatal hit and run
TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — The Tippecanoe County Sheriff's Office has confirmed a crash on U.S. 52 is a fatal hit-and-run. One person is dead and two are in critical condition after they were hit by a vehicle while on the side of U.S. 52. Deputies are now looking for a suspect vehicle.
According to sheriff's deputies on the scene, around 4:30 this morning, a car had slid off in the northbound lanes of U.S. 52 near State Road 28 in the southern portion of the county. There were two people inside the car.
Deputies believe a tow truck driver got that car back on the road. The tow truck driver and the two people were outside the car on the side of the road. That's when deputies said a gold Explorer came through and hit all three people.
According to deputies, one of the people from the car died on the scene. The other person from the car and the tow truck driver were taken to the hospital with critical injuries.
Deputies are now asking for your help finding the suspect's vehicle. They believe the vehicle is a 2003-2006 gold Ford Explorer or Expedition with possible left front damage. Sheriff's deputies said the vehicle will also be missing a left front mirror and running board. A general photo of a 2003 Ford Explorer is below. This photo is not exact.
U.S. 52 northbound is expected to be closed for the next three to four hours. A drone is on the scene helping deputies with the investigation.
If you know anything or see anything call the Tippecanoe County Sheriff's Office at (765) 423-9321.
- One dead, two critical in hit-and-run crash; police looking for vehicle
- Marion man dead after two-vehicle crash
- 1 dead in two-vehicle Peru crash
- Authorities: 2 dead after train hits vehicle in Indiana
- Suspect and vehicle involved in fatal hit-and-run found
- Two dead in Cass County hit-and-run
- One person dead after off-road vehicle crash
- One dead after vehicle crashes into police squad car in Marion
- Remembering victims of a fatal hit-and-run crash
- Benefit planned for hit-and-run crash victim