LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — State Street from Earl Ave. to South 21st Street on Lafayette's southside is back open after police were investigating a deadly officer-involved shooting.
Sgt. Brown with LPD said two investigations are simultaneously being investigated; criminal and internal affairs.
He said this is protocol after an officer uses his weapon in the line of duty.
As we previously reported, police were called to Lafayette's southside for a man with a gun. Officers then tried to negotiate with him to put his weapon away. Sgt. Brown said an officer was forced to shoot his gun after the man refused to cooperate.
The man died from the gunshot wound.
It happened to 2:15 Monday afternoon. The stretch of State Street from Earl Ave. to 21st Street was closed for about seven hours. Both investigations are on-going.
We are working to gather body-camera footage. Any updates will be on-air or online.
- Roads back open after LPD fatal shooting
- LPD looking for man wanted in connection to fatal shooting
- LPD investigating Broadway Street shooting
- LPD looking for shooting suspect
- LPD to host drug take back event
- LPD news conference on accidental officer shooting
- LPD celebrates distinguished officer
- LPD officer suspended
- Klondike Road back open after gas leak
- Local business gives back to LPD K-9 Program