WASHINGTON (WLFI) — Seated among the politicians at Tuesday night's State of the Union Address will be Tyler Trent's parents. Indiana U.S. Rep. Susan Brooks invited Tony and Kelly Trent as her guests of honor to the president's annual speech, according to Tyler's father.
The two will also meet with Vice President Mike Pence and Second Lady Karen Pence at 4 p.m., followed by a tour of the West Wing, according Rep. Susan Brooks.
Each representative is given one ticket for a guest to the speech. Democrat Kathleen Rice, a U.S. Representative from New York, gave her ticket to Congresswoman Brooks.
"We were having dinner and I told her about my State of the Union guests being the Trent's, and that I only had one ticket" Brooks said. "And she quickly offered up her ticket."
Tony Trent said it was a "great honor and a privilege" to be invited.
Congresswoman Brooks serves Indiana's 5th district, which includes Tyler's hometown of Carmel. She honored Tyler on Jan. 4 by telling his story on the house floor.
Today, I honored the life of Tyler Trent, a remarkable young #Hoosier from @CITYOFCARMELIN who lost his battle to bone cancer at only 20yrs. He has united Americans far & wide to be Boilermakers. I hope we can all continue to be grateful & live every day as he did – #TylerStrong pic.twitter.com/yJ9MuQGN7A
— Susan W. Brooks (@SusanWBrooks) January 4, 2019
"The Trent's gave us a very up close look at their life with their amazing son," said Brooks. They touched the country and the world in a way we haven't seen in a very long time."
Tyler died on New Year's Day after his battle with Osteosarcoma, a rare form of bone cancer. He captivated the hearts of the world for his positive spirit and platform to fight the disease.
Just last week, Purdue President Mitch Daniels told News 18 that the university was "working on" a physical campus memorial for Tyler.
You can watch the State of the Union Address at 9 p.m. Tuesday on CBS.
- Tyler Trent's parents to attend State of the Union, meet with Vice President
- Tyler Trent's Legacy
- A spot held for Tyler Trent
- Greater Lafayette's love for Tyler Trent
- SPECIAL REPORT: 100 miles for Tyler Trent
- National Bobblehead Hall of Fame creates Tyler Trent bobblehead
- Purdue creates Tyler Trent scholarship for students encountering adversity
- Tyler Trent passes away following battle with bone cancer
- Schedule for Tyler Trent's Purdue memorial service released
- LFD inspector, Tyler Trent's uncle delivers family eulogy