WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Even after his death, Purdue superfan Tyler Trent will live on in the hearts of the thousands he inspired.
Tuesday evening, Purdue University athletics has confirmed Tyler Trent passed away at the age of 20.
Trent raised millions of dollars for cancer research in the few short months since he first got national attention for his loyalty to Purdue in the midst of a battle with terminal bone cancer.
Trent insisted on coming to every Purdue home football game even after his illness became so serious he had to leave the school.
He predicted the school's triumphant underdog route of Ohio state this year and led the team as honorary captain in their recent bowl game.
Most importantly, he's inspired thousands through his battle against osteosarcoma, a legacy that will last far beyond his 20 years.
Tonight our hearts go out to Trent's family, and the entire Boilermaker nation. Already, well-wishes have been pouring in from all across the globe on twitter one of Trent's preferred platforms.
Purdue Athletics released a statement:
"First and foremost, we offer our condolences to Tyler’s family and friends. While there are no words to ease the hurt at times like this, we hope some comfort can be found in knowing what an inspiration Tyler is to our student-athletes, coaches, staff and fans. The entire Purdue Athletics family has been touched by his courageous battle, positive spirit and unwavering faith. Tyler was the embodiment of a true Boilermaker who will live on in each of us. We will forever be #TylerStrong."
- Tyler Trent passes away following battle with bone cancer
- Tyler Trent's Legacy
- A spot held for Tyler Trent
- Greater Lafayette's love for Tyler Trent
- SPECIAL REPORT: 100 miles for Tyler Trent
- Local business honors Tyler Trent by donating profits to cancer research
- Tyler Trent's goal is reached as $1M is donated to cancer research
- Purdue Center for Cancer Research begins using Tyler Trent's donated cells for research
- National Bobblehead Hall of Fame creates Tyler Trent bobblehead
- Purdue creates Tyler Trent scholarship for students encountering adversity