LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Two Lafayette men face multiple charges after police receive a report of shots being fired in downtown Lafayette. Lawrence Bennett was charged with criminal recklessness, theft of a firearm, carrying a handgun without a license, possession of marijuana, and possession of paraphernalia. Malik Adams faces charges of Criminal recklessness, theft of a firearm, and carrying a handgun without a license.
According to police, on May 24 shortly after 11 p.m. officers responded to a report of shots fired around 1028 Heath Street. Officers arrived to find several spent casing of two different calibers between the area of North 8th and North 7th Street on Tippecanoe Street.
Further investigation revealed a bullet hole in the upstairs window of a residence in the 1000 block of North 7th Street. After examining the home, officers determined two bullets entered the interior of the home.
LPD spoke with a witness who stated she a person shooting into the air from the back seat of a vehicle turning through the intersection. The witness then saw the vehicle park and the occupant go inside a home on North 7th Street. Officers found and examined the vehicle and found more spent casings. After questioning Lawrence Bennett and Malik Adams, officers searched the apartment and found 2 pistols and a shotgun that had been previously reported stolen. Officers also found marijuana within the home.
Bennett and Adams were both arrested and taken to Tippecanoe County Jail.
- Two men charged after shots fired into a Lafayette home
- Shots fired outside Lafayette bar overnight
- Storms damage Lafayette homes
- Police arrest 4 after shots fired outside Lafayette apartments
- Lafayette police find shell casings after report of shots fired
- Police investigating weekend shots fired near Lafayette apartment
- One shot fired in Lafayette incident; police on scene
- One shot fired in West Lafayette liquor store robbery
- Haunted Lafayette: The Pythian Home
- Lafayette man charge with kidnapping