LOGANSPORT, Ind. (WLFI/WTTV) - Two children are dead after a house fire in Logansport. Police have identified the victims as one-year-old Jason Whitelow Jr. and five-year-old Cateleyna Arellano.
Logansport Fire Department responded to the house on Montgomery Street at 1 a.m. Sunday morning. The inside of the house was engulfed in flames.
Assistant Fire Chief Mark Strong said it looked like the fire started on the first floor before spreading up to the second floor. The fire is believed to be accidental, possibly caused by an electrical outlet box.
Officials said the mother jumped out of a second story window of the house, carrying the youngest child. That child's condition is said to be good. The mother sustained injuries in her jump out of the home.
Neither she, nor first responders, were able to get into the house to save Whitelow Jr. or Arellano in time.
The two children were pulled from the second story of the home by Logansport Firefighters.
Sunday, a small cross, a few teddy bears, and some flowers have appeared on the front lawn in memory of the lost lives. There was a constant stream of community members driving by to look at the burnt home, to say prayers, and to pay their respects.
Some neighbors said they are devastated after what they witnessed.
Tulcey Dennis said she stood in the backyard as it all happened. She can't get the image of seeing one of the children's bodies being carried out of the house.
She contributed blue flowers to the little shrine. She shares why she did this act in their honor.
“Just for the children, you know,” she said. “They were so young and didn't deserve to die like this, so just to bless them.”
The investigation is ongoing.
- Two children dead after early morning house fire in Logansport
- Father of children found dead in Logansport house fire dies the same morning
- First responders react to Logansport house fire
- African Children's Choir performing in Logansport.
- Logansport Children's Choir Posts Digital Performance
- Logansport Hardee's destroyed in fire
- Logansport taking charge of housing struggles
- Early morning fire destroys home
- Community reacts to fatal house fire in Logansport
- State police identify 6 bodies found in Logansport house fire