NEWTON COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — An Indiana State Trooper who was working in the area caught a suspect in a carjacking Monday. Around 6:30 a.m. on US 41 near County Road 300 West, just north of Morocco, a driver saw a that had crashed along the side of the road. The person stopped to offer aid when the driver of the crashed car, 61-year-old Victor E. Cihonski, pointed a gun and forced the driver to take him away from the crash scene.
The unnamed driver was released, unharmed, a few miles away and Cihonski fled with the vehicle. An ISP trooper in the area heard the dispatch and description of the stolen car an was able to locate the vehicle. The trooper attempted to stop the car but the Cihonski refused to stop. Going too fast, he attempted to make a tight turn and went off the road into a ditch.
The ISP trooper was then able to detain Cihonski until Plymouth Police and Marshall County Sheriff’s Department arrived and they took the driver into custody. He was taken to Saint Joseph’s Medical Center in Plymouth where he was treated and released with non-life threatening injuries. Cihonski was taken and incarcerated at Lake County Jail in Crown Point and charged with Operating While Intoxicated (Controlled Substance), Reckless Driving, Resisting Law Enforcement (Vehicle), and weapon charges.
Cihonski is also facing several felony charges from the Newton County Sheriff’s Department related to the car-jacking.
Cihonski is also being held in connection with the armed robberies that occurred in Cedar Lake and Lowell. Formal charges are to be determined by the Lake County Prosecutor’s Office.
- ISP Trooper catches Newton County carjacking suspect
- ISP trooper forced off road in Vermillion County collision
- Body found in Newton County
- ISP Identifies trooper in fatal shooting of Glenn Rightsell
- No charges against ISP trooper in shooting death
- ISP recognizes Trooper of the Year for the Lafayette post
- Newton County Sheriff's Office issues warrant for chase suspect
- Newton County blaze causes $50,000 damage
- Surveillance video shows Newton County robbery
- Semi and train collide in Newton County