TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — The Tippecanoe County Treasurer's office is alerting people about a scam circulating the area. Treasurer Jennifer Weston said it is a mailed letter requesting payment for unpaid taxes from the state of Indiana.
They've received two reports in the past four days. It references an "internal processing service for Tippecanoe County public judgment records." According to the office, it is not uncommon for a governmental agency to contract with a third party for collections, however, the official government department or agency should be identified with a valid telephone number for a person to verify the charges.
Weston says these kinds of letters for failure to pay taxes do exist this one though is not legitimate. She says the office will be sending real notices of delinquent personal property taxes in 4-6 weeks.
Taxpayers should always verify the legitimacy of the third party and the IRS and the Indiana Department of Revenue have websites devoted to the education about tax scams and phone numbers available to report scams.
- Treasurer warns of tax scam letter
- Federal judge, prosecutor warn Hoosiers of jury duty scam
- Federal officials warn of increase in jury duty scam reports
- Federal court warns of scam using court's telephone number
- Governor directs flags lowered for former Indiana treasurer
- Hackers using ‘Scareware’ to scam
- Medical scam reaches Carroll County
- Letter carriers delivering more than just mail
- Ross, Stout sign national letters of intent
- Alleged murderer writes daughter an apology letter