WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - Purdue Police are getting ready to keep you safe and keep traffic moving on Saturday at Purdue football's home opener against Vanderbilt. Purdue Police have been preparing since May for the start of the season. There are changes to this years parking and traffic operations.
Now that the Cherry Lane Extension construction project is complete, the road will be key to this year's traffic movement. Purdue Police Chief John Cox said the road will be used primarily for pedestrian and golf cart traffic from the IM North lot to Ross Ade.
There have also been changes to RV parking lots. RV 4 has been moved from the State Street and Airport Road location to the Northwest Athletic Complex. That's just west of where we are standing right now, by the Grand Prix Track. RV 2 has moved to the IM North Lot.
Chief Cox suggests you go to the Purdue Athletics website to plan ahead.
"Look at what your route is inbound and what your route is outbound," he said. "Many of them have changed and there are fewer choices."
About 140 police officers will be working traffic and safety during the game. They will need all the help they can get considering more than 50,000 fans are expected to attend the game. They also have a creative way to keep an eye on traffic flow.
"We will actually have a helicopter up for the first two games to help us manage things," he said. "The idea is that our game day operations get a birds eye view."
Kickoff is at noon. Chief Cox is reminding people to be patient. They are able to funnel people in over the course of several hours before the game, but everyone tries to leave at once post game. There will be officers directing traffic as well as signs.
Click here to look at the 2019 Purdue parking map.
- Traffic and safety preparations for Purdue football home opener
- West Lafayette prepares for Purdue football traffic
- Purdue announces parking, traffic plans for first home football game
- Purdue football begins preparing for Iowa
- Purdue to dedicate Tyler Trent gate at football home opener
- Purdue wrestling splits duals in home-opener
- Purdue baseball set for home-opener
- Milwaukee spoils Purdue's home-opener 6-1
- Purdue basketball home opener nearly sold out
- Purdue, UConn schedule home-and-home football series