OTTERBEIN/WILLIAMSPORT, Ind. (WLFI/AP) -- Nearly $11 million in federal grant money is going to 19 rural communities around Indiana for local development projects, including two communities in our area.
The Town of Otterbein is getting $500,000 from the Indiana Office of Community and Rural Affairs. The money will be used to build a 5,209 square foot community center. More than 2,200 square feet of the space will be used for a meeting area.
The Town of Williamsport in Warren County is also getting a sizeable grant. It has been awarded $700,000 for wastewater system improvements. This project will rehabilitate four areas of the collection system, and make improvements to the treatment facility.
“It is important we are recognizing the impact rural communities have on our economic future. We must continue to ensure they are working to complete much needed projects,” Lt. Governor Suzanne Crouch said. “There are several rounds of federal funding being awarded throughout the state over the course of a year. We are making an impact on how rural Indiana is transforming their quality of place for their residents.”
The state of Indiana distributes Community Development Block Grant funds to rural communities to assist units of local government with various community projects like: improving infrastructure, downtown revitalization, public facilities improvements and economic development.
"These funds will bring valuable, much-needed infrastructure improvements, upgrades and resources needed in our rural communities,” said Jodi Golden, Executive Director of OCRA. “Residents of rural Indiana will see an impact to their quality of life, health and safety once these projects are completed.”
The first round of the 2019 CDBG program begins on March 25 with proposals due on May 3.
- Towns of Otterbein, Williamsport to get $1.2M in federal grant money
- Williamsport woman celebrates 103rd birthday
- Town leaders say grant to help Williamsport is responsible for rate increase
- Otterbein Elementary School receives Inclusion Award
- UPDATE: Trial begins for Williamsport man accused of killing woman
- Jury finds Scottie Kincade guilty of murdering Williamsport woman
- Otterbein Elementary closed Tuesday due to power outage
- Severe storm takes roof off of a home in Otterbein
- Feds awards Indiana $1.2M for opioid response in rural areas
- Federal grants awarded to history, archaeology projects