TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — A Tippecanoe County resident is in the process of taking over a huge role in the nation's Department of Defense.
It may seem like nothing ever happens in Buck Creek, but one of its residents is proving that isn't true. Lisa Hershman will soon be the No. 3 official in the Pentagon.
"I'm not a Hoosier by birth but I'm a Hoosier by choice," said Hershman.
Hershman is currently the Deputy Chief Management officer for the Department of Defense, but come December 1, she will become Chief. Hershman will be the second person to take over this relatively new position.
"Congress determined that we needed the new role and that we needed our own authority to direct military departments in the department of defense with regard to business operations," said Hershman.
Her background in engineering and industrial distribution made her the perfect fit, regardless of where her degree came from.
"Was not a Purdue Grad, shame on me," Hershman joked.
But she did marry one, you may recognize her husband Brandt who is a former State Representative for District 7. The two have lived in Tippecanoe County for the past 18 years, giving Hershman time to grow a special appreciation for Purdue students.
She said she would be happy to see Boilermakers in the Pentagon.
"Sometimes we don't think about the department of defense in that way but we are looking for innovators, we are looking for data scientists. We're looking for all those folks that are coming out of Purdue with a great education and great background," said Hershman.
- Tippecanoe County resident to move into No. 3 spot in Pentagon
- Double murder trial moved to Tippecanoe County
- Tippecanoe fairgrounds project moves forward
- Tippecanoe County's growing gains
- Residents react to tornado touchdown in Tippecanoe County
- Tippecanoe County Sheriff's Office warns residents of fake calls
- Tippecanoe Co. Commissioners delay moving exchange program
- Tippecanoe County voter card confusion
- Tippecanoe Health Dept.: West Nile virus found in Tippecanoe County