There were quite a few unexpected wins or close calls on Tuesday.
One of the most notable is the race for Tippecanoe County Sheriff.
Bob Goldsmith is the first Democrat to win the position in decades.
Democratic Party Chair Heather Maddox and Republican Chair Tracy Brown can't remember the last time this has happened.
Brown said it's also been about 25 years since we have had democrats sit on the county council.
After last night, we have two Democratic councilwomen, Ilana Stonebraker and Lisa Dullum.
Maddox is thrilled about the victories.
"Shocked on a couple of them, you know, I knew we would do well because we worked hard," said Maddox. "We recruited good candidates and they worked at it.
Brown is confident they'll be able to work well with the Democrat winners.
"After the election is over, that is forgotten," said Brown about party affiliation. "We trust each other, we work really well together and I think that kind of sets the tone for the rest of the community and it will continue to be that way."
Brown said he would have preferred to have swept the election like in years past.
However, he is excited Republicans maintained most of the General Assembly control in Tippecanoe County with the exception of District 26.
Democrat Chris Campbell beat incumbent Republican State Representative Sally Siegrist in that race.
"The battle is over, let there be peace now," said Brown. "We have a great deal of work to do in the community here locally with local candidates and in Indianapolis."
Maddox believes the results of this election reflect the hard work of candidates doing things the old fashioned way.
She said door knocking and phone calls proved to be extremely successful this year.
- Tippecanoe County party chairs react to election results
- 2019 Tippecanoe County Municipal Election results certified
- Purdue puts on an election results party
- 2018 Election Results
- Tippecanoe County Gets New Election Security
- Tippecanoe County Council elects new council member
- Primary election results are in
- Community reacts to Tippecanoe Mall shooting
- Tippecanoe County Sheriff reacts to drugs in jail
- Residents react to tornado touchdown in Tippecanoe County